By Troy Johnson
Yield: About 10 2 1/2 inch fritters
- 1 pound (about 2 medium) zucchini
- 1 teaspoon coarse or Kosher salt, plus extra to taste
- 2 scallions, split lengthwise and sliced thin
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Fresh Harvest extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Wash and dry Zucchini. Trim off ends. Grate Zucchini using large-hole grater or food processor. Toss in a large bowl with 1 teaspoon coarse salt and set aside for 10 minutes to rest. Important: gently wring out the zucchini by wrapping it up in a clean dishtowel or piece of cheese cloth and wringing away the water. Return dried Zucchini shreds to bowl. Add1/4 teaspoon more salt. Stir in scallions, egg and some freshly ground black pepper. In a tiny dish, stir together flour and baking powder, then stir the mixture into the Zucchini batter. Mix well and form into patties or use a spoon to form balls of the batter mix.
In a large non-stick (or cast iron if you prefer) heat 2-3 tablespoons of the Fresh Harvest oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Place the patties or spoon in the mixture into the skillet and cook the fritters over moderately high heat until the edges underneath are golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. If you find this happening too quickly, reduce the heat to medium. Flip the fritters and fry them on the other side until browned underneath again, about 2 to 3 minutes more. Drain briefly on paper towels then transfer to baking sheet and then into the warm oven until needed (about 225 degrees). Repeat process, keeping the pan well-oiled, with remaining batter. Try to ensure the fritters have at least 5-10 minutes in the oven to finish setting and getting extra crisp.
(Optional Dipping/Topping Sauce)
- 1 cup sour cream or plain, full-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Harvest Lemon Balsamic
- Pinch of salt
- ½ to 1 teaspoon Dill Weed (to your taste)
- 1 small minced or crushed clove of garlic
For the topping, if using, whisk together the above ingredients (adjust the flavors to your taste).
Dollop on each fritter before serving. Enjoy! Yum!